Want to be a Durham Pointer?
Would you enjoy sharing your love of Durham City and knowledge of its layout with tourists and other visitors?
Then why not join our volunteers now?
- Pointers work in 2 hour shifts, between 9.30am-11.30am;
11.30am-1.30pm and 1.30pm-3.30pm Mon-Fri, 11am-1pm and 1pm-3pm Sat and Sun.
- Pointers usually work in groups of 2 or 3
- Volunteers must be able to stand for a 2 hour session outside in all weathers
- Preferably be available for at least 1 shift a fortnight between Mid-May and end of September
- We would particularly welcome volunteers able to give of their time
on a Saturday or Sunday as we seek to extend our coverage during the
Summer and Special Event Weekends near Christmas
- Have a working knowledge of the layout of Durham City, its historic
sites, shops, facilities, transport links and government offices
Pointer volunteers are provided with a ‘Durham Pointers’ pink tabard
whilst on duty but please remember to dress sensibly for the weather
New volunteers are always welcome, to find out more please email the Coordinator or complete the application form on the right.
New Pointers are given a short training session before they take up
their position in Durham Market Place accompanied by an experienced
Pointer. The Pointers are there to help visitors find their way around
the City, and all training is to this end. Knowledge of the history and
architecture of Durham City is an advantage but by no means essential.
We have additional resources available on site to help.
The rota of volunteers is created by the Pointers Coordinator who makes sure everybody knows when they are on duty.
New volunteers are always welcome – if you would like to become a
Pointer or just have a chat to us about what it entails then please
complete the form opposite as appropriate.