Join Our Team
Would you like to join our team?
Would you enjoy sharing your love of Durham City and knowledge of its layout with tourists and other visitors? Join our team of volunteers now!
Some key facts about Pointing:
- Our season normally runs daily from Easter until the end of September
- Pointers generally work a 2 hour shift on the same day each week or fortnight.
- Interested but working during the week? If you have a few hours to spare over the weekend we’d love to hear from you as we operate on Saturdays and Sundays too.
- We usually work in groups of two or three, sometimes more, but never less than two
- The two-hour session takes place outside, always by the map in the market place and, if we are particularly busy, at other locations around the city
- We offer a Meet and Greet Service for visiting coaches and are keen to recruit volunteers who would enjoy this type of work
- All our volunteers have their own ‘Durham Pointers’ pink tabard
- It’s great if you have a good working knowledge of the city but don’t worry if you don’t. We provide induction and training and any novice Pointers are always paired up with an experienced volunteer
- Each season we arrange ‘Familiarisation Visits’ to a range of tourist attractions in the city
- We have our own Directory which holds information on the shops, restaurants and cafes in the city centre
New volunteers are always welcome. Our main requirement is for friendly, helpful volunteers willing to go that extra mile to assist visitors to our beautiful city.
Would you like to talk to a Pointer to find out more? If so send us an email email@example.com and a telephone call will be arranged. Or just complete the application form on the right and we will be in touch.